This summery recipe serves grilled venison with a bright, fruity, spicy salsa and planks of grilled eggplant.
8 Venison Medallions
4 Japanese Eggplants
3 T Sherry Vinegar
1 T Dried Oregano
1 C Flat Leaf Parsley Leaves
2 T Capers, rinsed
½ C Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 C chopped Fresh Tomatoes
1 C Cherry Tomatoes
½ Jalapeno Chile
1 Red Fresno Chile
½ t Salt, plus extra for seasoning venison & eggplant
- Halve the cherry tomatoes. Core, seed, and mince the fresno chile.
- Puree the jalapeno with the extra virgin olive oil, parsley, salt and sherry vinegar in a blender.
- Stir both types of tomatoes, the oregano, and the fresno chile into the jalapeno base to finish the salsa.
- Oil & preheat your grill or a grill pan.
- Cut the stem end off of the eggplants, then slice them into full-length, ¼” thick “planks.”
- Salt the medallions and grill them, turning as necessary, until just cooked to your preferred doneness (no further than Medium Rare for best flavor & tenderness).
- Rest the medallions, loosely covered with foil, while you cook the eggplant.
- Oil & salt the eggplant planks, then grill them on both sides until they’re cooked through and have grill marks. Remove them from the grill.