Here’s a fairly basic recipe for a Merino shoulder roast. We used rosemary, garlic, coriander and chile in our rub, but the technique can easily be adapted to any sort of wet rub you’d prefer.
1 Merino Bone-In Shoulder (Oyster Shoulder)
2 T minced Garlic
5 sprigs of Rosemary
2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
½ Shallot, minced
1 t Coriander Seeds
Mild Dried Chilies to Taste
½ t Lemon Zest
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Strip the leaves off the rosemary and discard the stems.
- Deseed and de-stem the chile(s), then grind them with the coriander seeds. Combine them in a food processor with the lemon zest, shallot, rosemary leaves, extra virgin olive oil and garlic. Process into a paste.
- Cut slits in the shoulder meat and rub it with the mixture until evenly covered on both sides.
- Place the shoulder on a rack in a roasting pan or sheet tray & roast until the shoulder is done (approximately an hour & 15 minutes total).
- Slice the meat off the bone and serve it with salt, lemon wedges and your choice of sides.