Smoky, sweet, tangy, spicy, these complex caramelized onions are a great accompaniment to the beefy flavor of grass-fed beef.
Beer Pairings: Stout or Porter
Wine Pairing: Napa Cabernet Sauvignon
Ingredients: Servings: 2
4 C thinly sliced Onions
2 T minced Flat Leaf Parsley
3 T EVOO
1 T Honey
Heavy Pinch of Salt
1. Toss the onions with the extra virgin olive oil and salt.
2. Put the onions in a large frying pan or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. When they start to sizzle, reduce the heat to medium low.
3. Cook the onions, stirring occasionally, until they’re well caramelized (approx. 30 minutes). After they’ve cooked for about ten minutes, add the honey and chile powder.
4. When the onions have caramelized, squeeze the extra oil out of them (into the pan) and remove them.
The depicted steaks were cooked sous vide at 110˚F for 1 hour, then briefly seared over high heat.
If you aren’t grilling, use the onion pan for cooking or searing the steaks.
6. Turn off the stove. Remove the steaks from the grill/pan. Loosely wrap them in foil and let them rest.
7. Return the onions to the hot pan. Add the drinking vinegar, parsley, plus any juices from the resting steaks collecting in the foil. Stir to combine.
8. Slice the steaks against the grain. Serve them with the onions and vegetable/starch sides.